Experienced New York Family Law Attorney Provides Considerate Counsel
Divorce and family law attorney helps Suffolk County clients navigate difficult times
Family law issues are difficult at best and often emotionally overwhelming, requiring skilled and sympathetic legal support. At Helen J. Rosenblum, Attorney and Counselor at Law, I represent clients throughout Suffolk County in divorce, child custody and support, and visitation matters. Additionally, I offer mediation services to help couples save time and expense in obtaining a divorce or legal separation. Drawing on knowledge gained from more than 30 years of practicing law, I provide my clients with competent and considerate counsel at every stage of their case.
Dedicated Suffolk County attorney assists NY residents with family law issues
Family law matters are never easy, not even when you get along reasonably well with your spouse. As a result, it is vital that you retain the services of a skilled attorney. Since 1985, I have helped family law clients with the following types of cases:
- Divorce: In New York, you can file for divorce if you or your spouse has lived in the state for one year. You also must allege grounds to divorce in New York, although those grounds may now simply refer to an irretrievable breakdown in your relationship for at least six months. Whether your divorce is contested or uncontested, you need to make serious legal decisions that will affect you and your family now and in the future. As an experienced divorce attorney, I stand by your side and help you make those decisions with confidence and clarity.
- Child custody and visitation: Divorce becomes more complicated, difficult, and emotional whenever children are involved. In fact, no issues lead to more arguments during a divorce than those regarding child custody and visitation. Parents may share physical (residential) custody and legal (decision-making) custody, or either may be awarded sole custody of either type. The courts of New York and those of every state base custody determinations on what they consider to be “in the best interests of the child.”
As a family law attorney, my hope is that spouses will work cooperatively on behalf of their children’s welfare, but protecting the best interests of your children and upholding your rights are always my primary concern.
Skilled divorce lawyer helps clients obtain and enforce child support orders
Parents are responsible for supporting their children, and that responsibility does not end with divorce. I understand that obtaining child support can be crucial to raising and supporting a family, and that’s why I am dedicated to helping clients resolve child support cases as quickly as possible. Support amounts follow state guidelines that factor in the number of children involved, each parent’s income, children’s educational needs, and health insurance costs, among other criteria. When an existing child support order needs to change because either party’s circumstances have substantially changed, my law office can help you file a petition in Family Court to modify the order.
Noncustodial parents who fail to pay child support will receive an administrative notice before enforcement actions are taken. Depending on the circumstances of your case, your child support order may be enforced in a variety of ways:
- Mandatory money judgments for past-due payments
- Order of the noncustodial parent into a work program
- Order that a hearing take place to suspend state-issued professional, business or occupational licenses
- Probation or jail sentences
It is important to remember that noncustodial parents may receive several notices prior to enforcement actions.
Respected family law attorney offers mediation services
Mediation offers a cost-effective and timesaving alternative to divorce litigation or legal separation. I offer mediation services to New Yorkers who are able to reach common ground with their spouse. During the mediation process, I do not represent either party but rather encourage the parties to work with each other toward a resolution of their marital situation that is legal and equitable. The hope and expectation is that after the process is concluded, the couple will be able to maintain a positive relationship.
Contact a skilled family law attorney in Suffolk County
Family law matters demand legal skill and sympathetic advocacy. Helen J. Rosenblum, Attorney and Counselor at Law, has been committed to helping New York families resolve legal issues since 1985. Call me today at 631-504-0811 or contact me online to schedule a free initial consultation at my Riverhead or Southold office.